Exterior Painting Prep Tips
Preparation Steps for Owners
You can make our prep work go quickly and smoothly by doing some prep of your own!
The following is a helpful checklist to ensure your home’s exterior is ready for work:
- Trim back landscaping to allow painters close access to siding and trim.
- Make sure water spigots are in good working order for power washing.
- Ensure exterior electrical outlets work for use of any necessary power tools.
- Designate a safe area where the crew can leave their work kit, including ladders. We don’t want to cause you any inconvenience during the process.
- Coordinate your painting plans with any other tradespeople you employ. Reschedule lawn service and turn off sprinklers while your house is being painted.
- Make your final color selection before the paint crew arrives.
- Close your windows on power washing days.
- Unlock your front door and windows on the days they are painted.
- Remember that the front door must be open all day, and maybe part of the evening, on the day it is painted. Prepare to have your house secured some other way.
Keep Your Building Looking Its Best!
When your exterior home painting project is finished, it will last for years to come.
While the paint will last, here are other ways to keep your exterior elements looking great:
- Once a year, check the caulk around windows, door frames, and trim to ensure nothing is cracked. Typically, freshly applied caulk lasts three to five years.
- If you have an area on siding that is prone to mold, mildew, or salt, clean it frequently with a stiff brush and power wash with a solution that contains a bleach additive.
- Even though nature provides us with so much, that doesn’t mean birds or insects should build a nest on your newly painted home or building. Take care to remove these.
- Brick is known for being low maintenance, but if your brick doesn’t look good next to your freshly painted siding, it can ruin the overall effect. Maintain brick by clearing weep holes filled with debris and power wash it once a year.
- Cut ivy or vines growing on your home to prevent damage and reduce humidity damage.
Contact us today at (888) 318-8650 to set up a free exterior home painting estimate.
Contact ProTect Painters to Learn About Our Services
Painting your home is an investment. Take great care of it before and after painting for a quality that lasts. When you hire ProTect Painters for exterior home painting, we take care of the step between the “before” and “after” to give you amazing results.