Exterior painting is reported to be one of the top home improvement projects this spring that will boost curb appeal and property value. In fact, expert sources and realtors say that exterior home painting and upkeep can increase current market value of a home by 200%.
"With the struggling real estate market, it's important for homeowners to know that most homebuyers make their decision - subconsciously or consciously - within seconds of viewing a home's exterior," Chris Ring said, Vice President of Operations and Training for ProTect Painters. "Homeowners who aren't selling also benefit greatly from a strategic, eye catching exterior paint job as it increases the home's value and can even help increase the value of the neighboring homes."
Potential sellers should also focus on the home's exterior simply because of the ROI. Seven of the top 10 home improvement projects for 2012 are exterior projects garnering anywhere from 69% to 78% return on investment — the highest of any other projects this year.
We, along our preferred home painting partners Behr, Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams, three of the nationwide leading paint companies, share tips on color selection and the architectural elements to focus on:
- Energize the Exterior: Bright, bold exterior colors are popular this year particularly shades of tangerine, yellow or deep purple. Behr suggests their color popping yellow shade Desert Glow while Benjamin Moore offers its deep purple hue Vintage Wine.Sherwin Williams recommends their vibrant tangerine orange shade called Daredevil to give a home a cheery look heading into spring.
- Front Door: A new coat of paint on your front door creates a visually pleasing focal point. It plants the seed of first impression that sets the tone for the rest of the house.
- Shutters: Whether blending to the body color or serving as a cosmetic accent to the overall color scheme of the house, freshly-painted shutters serve as instant exterior updates.
- Trim:New trim paint beautifies the façade, highlights the design of your house, and gives special emphasis to its attractive architectural features.
- Garage Doors: Another way to enhance curb appeal is to paint your garage doors to coordinate with the house body color-or make it standout by using a complementary hue.
- Fences: The right fence color can underscore the architecture of your home and add character to your yard. Fences provide a color frame for your property and give the house a distinct personality.
What do you think of our color and painting tips? Leave us your thoughts in the comments section below.